The great statue in Daniel chapter 2 has a lot of mysteries hidden in it. Some only get the surface value, some dig deeper. This time we are going to dig even deeper by checking all the Greek words that are associated with the english word stone or rock. The result is marvelous and the message is stunning.
See how the word ROCK or STONE is used in the New Testament (in comparison to usages in Old Testament)
Usages in OT (review)
- 0068 (/371 | 273) Gen 11:3 brick for stone, Gen 28:11 rock as pillow (vision of ladder), Gen 49:24 rock of Israel, Ex 34:1 two tablets of stone (10 commandments), Sam1 17:40 David’s five smooth stones
- 0069 (/153 | 6+2) rock
- 5553 (/153 | 59) speak unto the rock so that water flows out
- 6697 (/370 | 77) Rock of Horeb where water flows out after being struck, stand on rock, in a clift or holes of rock
Usages in NT (fresh look)
- G3037 (/1459_919 | 59) stone, (living) stone, cornerstone，(stumbling) stone, (costly) stones，(Ten Commandment) stone tablets，(idols of) stone
- G3458 (/371 | 5) millstone（cast into sea）
- G4073 (/371 | 14) rock
- G4769 (/371 | 4) (of truth) pillar
- G5555 (/371 | 1) chrysolite (seventh foundation of the New Jerusalem)
- G5586 (/153 | 2) white stone (human vs divine votes)
Matthew 3:9（G3037 first occurrence） And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.
Matthew 7:24（G4073 first occurrence） Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock<4073>.
Matthew 21:42-45 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “ ‘The stone<3037> the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’? “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. Anyone who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; anyone on whom it falls will be crushed.” When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew he was talking about them.
Romans 9:33 As it is written: “See, I lay in Zion a stone<3037> that causes people to stumble and a rock<4073> that makes them fall, and the one who believes in him will never be put to shame.”
1 Corinthians 10:1-4 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock<4073> that accompanied them, and that rock<4073> was Christ.
1 Peter 2:4-5 As you come to him, the living Stone<3037> — rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him — you also, like living stones<3037>, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
Revelation 18:21 Then a mighty angel picked up a boulder<3037> the size of a large millstone<3457a> and threw it into the sea, and said: “With such violence the great city of Babylon will be thrown down, never to be found again.